Saturday, April 23, 2011

Good Friday

In the days when there is the most to say, I have the least time to write. Much more could be said about the Triduum.

One day is not enough (but it's a start) to ponder the mystery of the death of Jesus. I have not always gone to the Good Friday liturgy, but for many years, yes. And yesterday I was drawn in, even if the service tends toward "arcane and baroque" as someone recently said.

The veneration of the cross seems like a strange custom for people (sometimes I just touch the cross), but it's a pretty good example of the way Catholics involve the senses in our liturgies and the way that we speak with symbols as much as with words.It is a religion for the whole person, not just the intellect.

Questions on my mind yesterday had to do with the meaning of Jesus' death for us, as well as what his example of sacrifice in life as well as death mean for me in my own life. And I thought about where Christ is being crucified today. Some want to gloss over Good Friday, because Jesus rose from the dead, after all. We know the end of the story. But then do we have the tendency to also overlook suffering today that does not directly touch us? Do we know how to find hope, and to give hope, in the midst of all the problems in our world? Some churches, including my own, have Stations of the Cross that make the connection explicitly. A group downtown actually walks a path of suffering in neighborhoods there.

Just some thoughts, as a Catholic, from yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. "Catholics involve the senses in our liturgies"

    Yes; Catholicism recognizes the importance of the body as well as the soul; the physical and the spiritual.

    ReplyDelete